Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 29. Mar 2024, 10:42

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28. Feb 2016, 03:05 

TWG is installed and running on my linux server - seems to work just fine from a Windows-based browser with the flash plugin installed. However, I did not realize that Adobe flash was a requirement on the client and it appears that uploads from current version Android mobile devices fail because the flash plugin is not supported on either the Chrome or Firefox browsers.

Perhaps I am missing something in the configuration but to me this is a fatal flaw. In my world most people are taking their photos these days using smart phones. The requirement to move their pictures to a computer before sharing (uploading) is unacceptable. I hope I am mistaken and there is a setting that avoids this problem but IF Androids and iPhones are not supported as direct clients this application is completely worthless to me.

Last edited by gem on 28. Feb 2016, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28. Feb 2016, 13:04 
Site Admin

In the administration a normal html uploader is available.

Best, Michael

PostPosted: 28. Feb 2016, 13:49 
Site Admin

TWG is the only gallery I know with an uploader in the site directly. But this is flash only.
So for mobile devices you need to use the one in the administration right now.

For the next version I plan to replace this with a html5 uploader which meets the features I want.
Currently there is none with the features of the existing one.
So I think I have to integrate on with less features than the existing one.

Best, Michael

PostPosted: 28. Feb 2016, 16:20 

Oh good. I'm glad there is a workaround. However, I'm not sure how to configure the HTML upload capability. Can you guide me with this?

Here is my config screen now:

Even after clearing my browser history (Chrome on Android), I still get this message:
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: 28. Feb 2016, 21:37 
Site Admin

Where is this message coming? when you click on "upload" on the site?
Because the html upload is only possible in the administration.

Btw. I use e.g. es-explorer with ftp to upload images to TWG. than you can e.g. use the "send to" functionality directly in the default android gallery.

Best, Michael

PostPosted: 28. Feb 2016, 22:16 

TinyWebGallery wrote:
Where is this message coming? when you click on "upload" on the site?

Yes, when I click upload in the Android browser logged in as normal user.

TinyWebGallery wrote:
Because the html upload is only possible in the administration.

Ahhh, so it's NOT possible to use a native Android or iOS browser to upload. Is that correct?

TinyWebGallery wrote:
Btw. I use e.g. es-explorer with ftp to upload images to TWG. than you can e.g. use the "send to" functionality directly in the default android gallery.

Best, Michael

Yes, I can do that BUT my entire reason for wanting the shared gallery was to facilitate photo sharing for people who are not particularly computer literate. These are older people who don't or won't load an alternate application on their device to make this work. For them, if it doesn't work with the apps that came on their phone, it simply doesn't work. It appears TWG won't do what I need. I should have tested the free version more before I bought the upgrade. Live and learn.

IMO, this is a fatal flaw in your product - a real opportunity for improvement. In order to appeal the widest possible potential audience you must find a way for mobile devices to upload to your application directly because there are FAR more of those in use today than Windows-based computers. In fact, most of the <30 year-olds I know don't even own a conventional computer. They do everything online using their smartphones or tablet computers running Android or iOS. How do Facebook and Instagram accomplish this? That seems totally transparent and they support multiple image uploads from mobile devices.

Last edited by gem on 28. Feb 2016, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28. Feb 2016, 22:37 
Site Admin

No - you can upload in the administration also with android browsers or ios.

The "Upload" in the site is the "frontend" upload which no other gallery has anyway. But you are right. I should disable this menu item for mobile devices now.

An html 5 upload in the front end is planned for the next version. But as I have written already all existing html5 uploaders are a step back in functionality.
And as it seems no better ones are coming which has the same feature set as the existing one.
So I have already selected the "best" one and made some tests for the frontend.

btw: Facebook has a few thousand programmers who do this full time!

Best, Michael

PostPosted: 9. Apr 2016, 18:08 

Are there any (good) news on this topic?

I would really appreciate this new feature.
Regards
Chris

PostPosted: 10. Apr 2016, 00:28 
Site Admin

Actually yes. I have implemented a html5 uploader in my local build. If you already want to test it please contact me.

Best, Michael

PostPosted: 16. Apr 2016, 00:54 
Site Admin

It is now online:
web-photo-gallery-news-f14/twg-2-4-with-html5-uploader-is-available-as-preview-t4073.html

Best, Michael