Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 29. Mar 2024, 03:27

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 1. Dec 2007, 01:08 

What could it be that's causing this?

I just got an email from my host, and they said they had to disable the script because it was bogging down the entire server, well here's the email I got:

Hello,
We have been forced to disable the image.php script under the rule 34
account on the server. The script was using up to 100% cpu
resources causing a high server load and service outages for all users. We
were seeing this script run multiple times at once and this was causing
the high load spikes. Please see our logs below and let us know what can
be done to prevent further issues.

Last edited by Kaze on 3. Dec 2007, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Dec 2007, 01:32 
Site Admin

when you copy many new images the thumbnails and detail images are generated. once this tis done load should not be a big problem anymore.

There are only 2 cpu killers left:
- maximized view
- maximized slideshow.

Would be interesting with with parameters the image.php is called.
Can you ask the hoster?
maybe the image.php is ina loop - this has to be fixed - which version are you using right now?

How many new images you you get?

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 3. Dec 2007, 18:45 

TinyWebGallery wrote:
when you copy many new images the thumbnails and detail images are generated. once this tis done load should not be a big problem anymore.

There are only 2 cpu killers left:
- maximized view
- maximized slideshow.

Would be interesting with with parameters the image.php is called.
Can you ask the hoster?
maybe the image.php is ina loop - this has to be fixed - which version are you using right now?

How many new images you you get?

/Michael

Alright, I'll ask them for those records for you if they have them, and that seems to be what it was, because over the weekend, the regranted permissions for it, so the entire problem was due to the uploads, and the fact that I was uploading in the main folder to which all traffic is directed toward, AND uploading multiple "Large" files, jpegs that were about 1.7 - 2.2 Megs each.

Also, I had noticed a few of the file names on the contents that I'd backed up, and just as a test of my own, i'm going to see if I encounter anymore errors on the xml of the main gallery after having removed all special charcters for file names (! @ # $ % ^ &) and see if that what was causing my problems with that.

Oh, and I'm still on 1.6, I was waiting for a stable release of 1.7, but thusfar I saw that it still said not to use that build as a production level, since it was only a test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 3. Dec 2007, 18:52 
Site Admin

1.7 is not stable yet - I already have a build that is not online that will be the first real beta. There everything is already implemented.

If you use the flash you can disable that the thumbnails and the detail image is generated right away - but this only shifts the point where it is generated ;).

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 3. Dec 2007, 19:02 

I didn't use the flash uploader, just because I favor true FTP Interface, all I need to do is slow it down with the bulk uploads is all.

=D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 3. Dec 2007, 19:05 
Site Admin

that's fine.

But one thing is true. If a folder is access the first time with many images e.g. 24 image.php are called and this sure generates a lot of load.

But only once. there is now way to avoid this - only if you maybe install image magick - this use less processor power.

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 4. Dec 2007, 17:38 

I got a reply back from the host, they said they didn't have that information anymore, or wouldn't give it to me, whichever.

Also, after removing all special characters from file names, I haven't noticed another .xml related problems, I'm not sure if you'd already encountered this bug before, but you might look into it if you haven't already. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 4. Dec 2007, 17:43 
Site Admin

good - what kind of special characters have you removed - it they cuase the problem I want to try them.

Because I even tried with swedish, danish and greek chars ;).

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 5. Dec 2007, 18:40 

Well I removed them all at once, I think the error was caused due to modulous 20, the thing that happens when you try to download a file that has spaces in the file name, and instead of downloading the space, you download the code for space, which is "%20".

Some of the files I uploaded had that written inside of it, as well as a few other codes like %34, and a couple others, I just erased that out of the pictures, and all other special characters I saw which was "!@#$%&".

Since I renamed the files already, I don't remember what they were, because I deleted the corrupt ones already, but I'm theorizing that it might be a parse error in the xml triggered by the modulous 20 with a unescaped character in the filename like:
Code:
alpha%20beta%20"gamma"%20.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 5. Dec 2007, 18:46 
Site Admin

thanks - i'll try them on my test server ...

/Michael