Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 26. Apr 2024, 14:56

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 9. Nov 2007, 08:11 

Hello Michael, I've been running the script and reading the HowTO/FAQ for about 10 hours now. Using a clientside gallery-producing program which creates static web pages, I'm currently extracting 3 fields from the jpeg ...the IPTC Description field and the 2nd Caption field as well as the Caption/Headline field you currently use in TWG.

I can see that the Info file is reading all of these fields properly, but how would I go about enabling the IPTC extraction to write these other fields into the XML file so that I can call them without having to read the image each time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 9. Nov 2007, 10:22 
Site Admin

The info is read every time from the image.

Only the iptc data used for captions and tags are stored in xml.

I never saw the need to store this because I think the info is not used that much and reading of the iptc of one files is quite fast ;).

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 9. Nov 2007, 15:20 

> reading of the iptc of one files is quite fast

If I had, for example, a TWG project with 200 directories and an average of 100 jpegs in each directory would you think that retrieving & displaying IPTC fields directly from the jpeg is fast enough to handle a couple of search engine spiders running through the site simultaneously?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 9. Nov 2007, 15:34 
Site Admin

if you think this is a problem on your site I would not use an xml saving of the fields because then you still have to read and parse xml - Then I would simply store the page once it is rendered in the cache if you need maximum speed.

But if a spider goes through the site the info page is for sure not the problem ;). reading all directories and e.g. sort images by exif date are really hard things to do every time ...

This is why i started to store e.g. the image counter already in the cache because this speeds up the gallery a lot (e.g. a site with 200 000 images had an initial loading time of 15 sec. it's now down to 2 sec once the cache is build).

In 1.7 I most of theses caches will be added ;).
The current dev build has already some - The final will have a couple more ;).

/Michael