Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 29. Mar 2024, 18:01

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 00:36 

Is there a way to use the text from the EXIF Image.Description field for displaying the Caption? I noticed that twg16 can use the IPTC fields in this way. Photoshop Elements 2.0 uses this field and I have used it to extensively. It would be great if TWG could pull this data into its caption.

Great program Michael.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 00:53 
Site Admin

Hi,

are you really sure that Photoshop Elements is writing Exif data? Because e.g. my Photoshop i tested with is writing IPTC data (Image description, title, caption, copyright ....).

Normally exif data is only written by the camera and you can add a comment with e.g. xnview

TWG is using the caption - but you can use the image description too.

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 01:31 

Michael,

I can't send you a u-r-l with a picture in it because I am a new registered user, but I have examined images produced by Photoshop 2.0 usinf EXIFER. No IPTC data is generated - just EXIF using the Image.Description field. Very inconvenient for me as I agree that this data should be reserved for Camera generated data.

You might be able to browse my web-site for pictures if you want to verify this for yourself or I could e-mail you a picture.

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 12:42 
Site Admin

I tested this - you are right - I can read this description in the exif data (where i should not be ;).).

you can actually include the reading of the exif into the reading of the iptc data, some work but not really hard to do ;).

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 13:52 

If I could find a program that would batch convert the EXIF code to the IPTC code I would do that. EXIFER will not do subdirectories. I guess I will just do a directory at a time.

I am a big beleiver in leaving the comments in the files instead of an outside file. This makes them more portable from one program to another.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 14:13 
Site Admin

no worries i'll add reading caption from exif to rc3 - I'll post this in the forum sometime this week

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 15:19 

Thanks Michel. I sent you a small donation as a thak you for your work. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 20:42 
Site Admin

Thanks,

But now you have to test it!

The reading of the exif is disabled by default because extracting exif data is slow ;). Read howto 38 of the howto.htm included in the zip!

I tested with one of you images and it worked fine.

Please tell we if it works for you too. If it does I make this version offically rc3 - I then only have to make the german website until 1.6 is ready ;).

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 20:56 
Site Admin

the version I upload is already preconfigured for you - but the real rc3 I upload in a couple of days won't.

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2007, 22:51 

Eureka! It worked like a charm - just like magic. Wish I had asked for this a few weeks ago because I have spent hours re-typing all my comments into the xml files (that was before I read that twg16 could use IPTC data).

I had started to use exifer to convert EXIF to IPTC data - about 66% done before you offered to change the script to accomodate my wishes. The script works fine - even when there is both exif and iptc data.

Thanks again
/Mark

You can see the results by going to my web-site and adding the sub-directory:
test-twg16-rc3

Post subject:
PostPosted: 5. Apr 2007, 13:01 

Correction. The program I was using that only generated EXIF description tag (not IPTC tag) was Photoshop Album 2.0 -- not Photoshop Elements 2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 5. Apr 2007, 13:23 
Site Admin

good - I'll add this to the faq