Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 29. Mar 2024, 11:49

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20. Mar 2013, 23:08 

Hello, everyone. :) I've just registered and this is my first post. I have a simple question that is likely to be easy. For the record, I did look through the config information and also through the forums and did not see an answer to my question, although it's certainly possible that I missed it. If so, I apologize for asking something that is covered elsewhere.

I've been working with computers for 40 years but only recently doing much with the web itself. A friend has asked me to create a small website for a small town (for free) and I've happily agreed to do so. I'm also using the project as an excuse to learn PHP. I'm very familiar with HTML and CSS and so far PHP seems extremely straightforward and a lot like C and other languages.

Since I'm learning PHP, I'm trying to also learn best practices for PHP application development, including things like naming conventions and folder structure. The bulk of the application will be a folder that is not under the public_html folder with limited components under public_html (i.e., a basic index.php file, folders for css, js, media).

So here's my question: should TWG be installed in a folder under the public_html (www) folder or is it okay to install it in a folder that is outside of the public_html folder? I have access to both, so I can put it wherever I want. If it needs to be in one location or another, then that's what I'll do. But if it could be under public_html or in some other location, are there reasons why one location would be easier or better than another?

Thanks very much. The product looks great and I'm excited to start using.

Brian

PostPosted: 20. Mar 2013, 23:18 
Site Admin

It needs to be under public_html in the given folder structure because otherwise you don't have access.
Depending in the features you want to use you can put the pictures somewhere else but I recommend to secure the pictures then with a .htaccess file... So howto 1 howto secure TWG even further.

Best,
Michael

PostPosted: 20. Mar 2013, 23:26 

Michael,

Thanks for a quick reply! That's what I'll do.

Brian