Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 28. Mar 2024, 19:41

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 9. Dec 2011, 02:09 

hi,
I'm new in here saying hello to everyone explaining my problem:

Set up TWG on inhouse apache -> works fine. Now tryin to activate 3 mini-avi-vids like discribed in howto. so

- copied them to my server dir
- generated three thumbs with ffmpeg
- named them like the movies (with diff extention)
- setup a video.php - contents:

--- begin
<?php
$video_size_x = 320;
$video_size_y = 240;
$video_player = "AUTO";
$video_autostart = false; // or false - depending what you want
$video_show_dl_link = false; // true or false works
$show_slideshow = false;
$default_big_navigation="HTML"; // should be set if you have images and videos in one folder!

?>
--- end

env:
server and clients running under ubuntu oneiric

problem:
thumbs shown, but movies don't play - black box shown instead
what am I doing wrong?

jori says: thanX for attention

PostPosted: 9. Dec 2011, 10:10 
Site Admin

avi uses the windows media player plugin -> windows.

you should use a different format if you like to have is running with linux as well.

- Michael

PostPosted: 9. Dec 2011, 10:40 

>>you should use a different format if you like to have it running with linux as well.<<

I'm looking to make it run with linux o n l y ;-)
jokes aside:

Hi Michael,

- are there any expiriences in what format to use best under these conditions? Do I need to modify my apache to make streaming without help of a provider possible. What would be to do?

- is there no chance to make the vlc-plugin running (working under win and lin as well)?

thanX for Ur help

jori

PostPosted: 10. Dec 2011, 01:37 
Site Admin

which vlc plugin?

Currently still the best is using flash.
In the next version of TWG I will support html5 videos but currently there is no real standard. So you have to provide 3 video formats to get it working with all browsers.

- Michael

PostPosted: 11. Dec 2011, 21:06 

>>which vlc plugin?<<

there is a plugin for the vlc-media player under firefox working in win and lin. I thought that would be the easiest way to make diverse formats running in both worlds. Obviously the question of the browser is more in Your focus than the different OSes - ok - a different point of view I was not calculating on. For my programming I always use the most compatible programs so the IE was never a question of matter for me. Sorry for that.

What do U use for converting avi to flash?

PostPosted: 12. Dec 2011, 00:01 
Site Admin

I think the vlc player plugin is not a very common used one.

I use the riva flv encoder. It's free and easy to use.

Best,
Michael

PostPosted: 12. Dec 2011, 01:34 

Hi Mike,

I think there is a misunderstanding. As far as I just got to know the >riva flv encoder< is an encoder program which You most probabely use to encode Your e.g. avi files to flash. Isn't it? If so, thanX for the hint.

The vlc-plugin is a browser plug-in for the mozilla firefox to use the famous vlc-player (useable under win and lin) to play most of the known formats from Your browser directly in vlc under Your OS (means eather under Windows o r Linux). I for example use this plug-in to play streamed movies from my dreambox to win and lin-clients in my local net. It works in both worlds without any adaptation. It doesn't matter which os You started and it (the vlc-player) handles most of the known formats (without installation of additional codecs). So if You serve the data in an understandeable way (simplest as a download) it will eat up nearly everything You feed.

that's what I meant . . . it's not critics on Your work at all. It's just a hint how it could be possible to serve nearly any movie-format to lin and win-clients without developing the wheel a second time. The best way of course would be Your neat, cute program would do a streaming of the movie, then vlc would do the rest in both worlds.

By the way if You are the author of this fantastic software, thank You for this nice peace of work. Of course it doesn't do the job of these big gallery-monsters serving ice-cream and bear to the movie but it does a pretty good and clean job on what most people need -> a simple gallery to show their pictures (songs and movies) and nothing but that. Thank You for Your work on that if so.

I had to mention this to honour Your work especially because You use the plain directory structure without the help of a monster-database. That was the most attractive thing about Your soft for me. So please, don't change this in the future.

thank You says jori

(by the way using my own (upload-) avatar would be nicer than for example the breast waving girly that You offer ;-) She looks ok, but I don't want her to wave for my profile :)

PostPosted: 12. Dec 2011, 11:06 
Site Admin

Hi,

Yes I'm the developer.

But where is the misunderstanding? You asked how I convert avi to flv ;).
I know vlc but I think the plugin is not used by a lot of people.

In the next version of TWG I will offer html 5 video support. But this still means you have to have a video format that the browsers do support (and not any plugin anymore). But then avi is still not one of the directly supported formats.
See here: #removed_broken_link (status is a little bit old.)

And no - currently no database support for the main features are planned. The database would be nicer at some points (search, counter) but right now I maybe only want to introduce an optional db for the counter because php really has problems when writing a lot of parallel things.

Best, Michael

PostPosted: 13. Dec 2011, 17:36 

Hi Mike,

Quote:
But where is the misunderstanding?

the misunderstanding was, that :

Quote:
I think the vlc player plugin is not a very common used one.
I use the riva flv encoder.

sounds like You use riva flv instead of vlc-player in the first sight. The second look of course set me on the right path after I had a look into the net to get to know what the <riva flv encoder> was. Well, well we're comming from different worlds - for shure :). The encoder doesn't help me that much because I don't like to run software in virtual boxes that much. And the gnome desktop doesn't serve windows-apps natively - up to now at least :)

Maybe I can help some of Your (linux-)users here in publishing the script to make the conversion under linux with the help of mencoder like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

########################################################################################################
# c/o jori gel 2011
# tool to encode avi to flv format

# call it like:
# avi2flv.sh /path/to/movie.avi
# the target will be placed into the source-directory
# same name different extention

# script needs mencoder to install under ubuntu:
# apt-get install mencoder
# originally laying in /scripts/VDR
# without any warranty (see at the bottom)
########################################################################################################
# take parameter
cVideoFile="$1"

# get the filename
cFileName=$(basename $cVideoFile .avi)
# get the pathname
cFilePath=$(dirname $cVideoFile)

# and start the job
mencoder -forceidx -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56 -srate 22050 -ovc lavc -lavcopts codec=flv:vbitrate=250:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3 -vf scale=360:240 -o "$cFilePath/$cFileName.flv" "$cVideoFile"
# put this to the end of the line to suppress the results
#>/dev/null 2>&1

# return
exit 0

#eo avi2flv.sh

# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.

# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.

This way - and thanx for Your help again - the whole thing works under both os-clients finally.

I really enjoyed the talk to You, so may be we keep in contact. Eventually I could help You in one or the other case not being unexpirienced in coding php, perl and others . . .

so long says jori