Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 29. Mar 2024, 01:02

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: IPTC - Captions & Tags
PostPosted: 9. Jun 2007, 07:22 

I am using 1.6.2 and notice that the captions seem to require some massaging to get them to begin showing.

When I go from the thumbnail page to an image the file name is showing. It appears that I need to move twice -- forward and then back or forward 2 before the captions begin to show. I see this in both Opera and IE.

If tags are supplied either manually or from IPTC data they will populate the 'tags' field automatically if selecting the "Tags" menu link -- showing existing tags if any.

It seems that the Caption menu item should do the same.. I realize the captions (once they beging to show properly ;) ) are displayed already below the image but for editing purposes it would be a time saver at times to have the caption entry field pre-populated with any existing caption.

This last thing really doesn't seem like a bug but how-to 38 describes defaults that I assume should work with Xnview, however config.php with:
Code:
$iptc_fields_for_caption= array("2#105","2#005");
..doesn't retrieve the "Caption" data added using Xnview 1.91 -- I don't know what it actually will retrieve -- will test by adding all IPTC data and see what get's extracted.

What I needed to do in order to get the "Caption" data per Xnview writing was to change in the my_config.php:
Code:
$iptc_fields_for_caption= array("2#120");
..so it uses the TWG "Description" data. A little confusing since there isn't a description entry for IPTC with Xnview.

FWIW the IPTC "Keywords" written with Xnview are mapped perfectly to the TWG "Tags" though..

I really have not yet researched the IPTC so I don't quite follow the n#nnn offset stuff yet or the mapping and what is TWG specific and what is IPTC specific.

I also have Photoshop so I may fiddle around with writing IPTC data with it to see if it's any different.

Again, no big deal and not really a bug, remapping is easy enough.. The how-to 38 though does kind of read like the default TWG should handle the Xnview IPTC "Caption" -> TWG "Caption" which it doesn't, confusing things somewhat.

##UPDATED##
Just wanted to pass along the mapping if IPTC data that I have observed (using the "Info" menu command) after populating all fields with both PS and Xnview. The left side below shows the TWG field name and the right is the corresponding IPTC data -- described related to the IPTC writing menu(s) of the corresponding program used.

The mapping is more clear now to me. The default config.php setting for $iptc_fields_for_caption is specifically for display purpose, showing the field choosen under the photo/in lightbox.. It's not actually changing which TWG field the IPTC data imported gets mapped to AFAIK.

EG: with the default config.php the TWG Info that is used under photos would be "Caption" which is actually the "Caption Headline" IPTC data. The mod to my_config.php above simply tells TWG to show the TWG Info "Description" which is the IPTC caption 'data' field.
Code:
File name   = pshop_test.jpg
Date      = 9.6.2007
Size      = 127 KB
Resolution   = 640 x 480
Image tags   = Keyword1
Album tags   = Categories - Supplemental Catego
Description   = General - Caption
Autor      = General - Caption Writer
Copyright   = Genral - Copyright Notice
Source      = Origin - Source
Caption      = Origin - Headline
----------------------------------------------------------------
File name   = xnview_test.jpg
Date      = 9.6.2007
Size      = 117 KB
Resolution   = 640 x 480
Image tags   = keyword1
Album tags   = Categories - Supplemental Catego
Description   = This is caption data
Autor      = this is caption author
Copyright   = credits copyright
Source      = credits source
Caption      = this is caption headline

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14. Jun 2007, 22:46 
Site Admin

The problem is actually the I have 5 programs to write IPTC data - and I'm using the one that matches the most settings - therefore the captions does by default actually read 2 fields (it searches until it finds something).

The description you where using is not that good because I think in Photoshop this is not even visible ;).

The reading of IPTC should actually not be done in the frontend (I only do this for tags/info because I read this data there anyway)

Simply use the function in the TWG Admin to extract the data.

/Michael