Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 29. Mar 2024, 15:18

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20. Mar 2011, 19:28 

I downloaded this component for a joomla site that I host and am pleased with it's features.

Recently though I noticed that if I could limit the number of files a user could upload it would benefit me overall. I saw that I would require a paid registration that I just recently did but find my purchasing to be pretty lacking.

Apparently, I STILL don't have full configuration options available on JFUploader and I understand that the license works on the other applications you provide, but for people using Joomla like myself, it just feels like I'm getting nickle and dimed for a handful of features that most of which I don't intend to use. I paid $24 and change USD for my standard license and am really only using the file upload limit, then noticed the color options but couldn't use because I didn't have a professional license. It already kind of irks me that I had to pay $24 to limit the # of uploads per directory, but to pay it again just for color options and MAYBE the new upload bar which is neither here nor there doesn't really seem like I'm getting my moneys worth.

I understand that paying for licenses for upgraded features helps the author create more features and better applications but for like JFUploader that only applys to Joomla and Joomla users wouldn't really have any application for the other components available it just doesn't feel like my license was worth it to have to pay double to unlock the full features.

I would like to recommend that for JFUploader only, all the settings be available to standard license registrants. I would also like to recommend a useful setting to limit the size of a directory can hold. There is already an upload size limit, que limit, que size limit, I would consider a setting to limit how big their directory can be per user would be a nice addition to the already implemented limits.

I really like the component but I don't really feel like the money I paid on my license is really worth what I paid or what I would have to pay to get the full version of JFUploader.

PostPosted: 20. Mar 2011, 20:22 
Site Admin

Hi,

a limit for directories for the size is already in the pipeline for 2.14. Currently you can limit the number of files.

I don't understand what you mean with double. I have decided to make 2 different licenses where the standard one allows to use unlimited uploads and all the main features. The professional features are in my opinion the ones which are really useful for e.g companies or websites that make money with it. And you see on each registration page which different versions are available.

I actually planed to make JFU completely free for private use and only make a fee for commercial use. I tested this and I could not even pay my servers, because most commercial sites did not register. So if you have a better solution please let me know.
A lot of websites make a kind of 6 month member ships to get the full version, but in the end this is much more expensive because JFU only is a one time fee with free updates. So if you update to 2.14 with the size limit you can easily update without getting a new license.

Since 2.13 a new editor button is also available - It fully replaces the image button of Joomla and offers many additional features.

- Michael

PostPosted: 20. Mar 2011, 23:19 

TinyWebGallery wrote:
I actually planed to make JFU completely free for private use and only make a fee for commercial use. I tested this and I could not even pay my servers, because most commercial sites did not register. So if you have a better solution please let me know.

Well since the standard license is for private and non-commercial use, enable full configuration for standard license only, and commercial use still requiring a professional license to enable all the configurations. It's not that I had a huge problem with paying, it's that after paying for a private license and still had features unavailable to me, then looked up the cost of a professional license and saw it was double the price I paid for standard. I'm sure without even checking that you offer an upgrade service that would remove the amount I've already paid towards the amount I'm going to pay but 30 Euros + the additional fees would cost me right about $50 USD total spent.

To private users, this just isn't practical for the few features you end up receiving, (Again private, not commercial) so even if just for JFUploader cause it only applys to Joomla you were to allow standard license users (which would be private use and not commercial use) full configuration options it would be more economical for private users instead of doubling up for 6 new features and a commercial license they'll never end up using.

I'm sure you can verify if a registrant pays for a private license for commercial applications, I guess I'm just requesting that private users (Standard License holders) should have all features available since it's for a private website. Again, I only use JFUploader so I'm not sure how many differences there are in each license for the other applications you provide, but even if just for JFUploader it would be a whole lot more practical to purchase a private license and to receive the full benefits of the application they are paying for. Or even at that point if you split the licenses up per application but you've probably already thought that over and chose to do it the way it is.

JFUploader is great, but I don't really believe after purchasing a private license I would have to pay for virtually another license (same cost to upgrade) to receive a handful more features. Maybe some of you other applications receive more from upgrading licenses, but I don't believe that excluding the commercial license, JFUploader should require another 15 Euros to unlock 6 more features.

To sum it all up, my suggestion is at the least, allow private license holders full access to JFUploaders features without having to purchase an upgraded license with no intentions of using it commercially. This way commercial users still have to purchase a commercial license to receive the full benefits, but private users get more for what they pay for when purchasing the standard license since the only differences (for JFUploader) is the few more unlocked features and a commercial license for the application which a private user like myself doesn't require so I'm really paying for a commercial license with no intention of actually using it.
TinyWebGallery wrote:
You can update any time without any additional cost.

I was saying upgrade not update.

Last edited by Cjx0r on 21. Mar 2011, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20. Mar 2011, 23:52 
Site Admin

You can update any time without any additional cost.

It's not possible to check if a website is private or commercial automatically. I would have to check each registration manually and a lot of the websites are actually not even online at the time of registration. So the users would have to wait and I would have to spent additional time for the whole process because I would have to contact most of the users by e-mail. So I would have to increase the price that I don't want. I want to have the standard license at an affordable price for everyone.

As you wrote - the features in the professional license are very interesting for commercial users and not for private users. The features you mentioned you like, are only optical improvements.
I tried to believe that people choose the correct registration. But many unfortunately don't.

I spend many hours a day for support and implementation of all products and the new limit for a user directory will for sure be available in the standard edition. Actually most of the new features are available in the free version!

Best,
Michael