Php photo gallery TWG | JFUploader | TWG Flash upload | WFU | Forum

Get help for TinyWebGallery, the best image gallery. The forum is also home for the Joomla JFUploader, TWG Flash Uploader and the Wordpress flash uploader.
It is currently 29. Mar 2024, 09:34

This forum is readonly now. Please use the new forum if you don't find the answer to your question here. The new forum is at https://www.tinywebgallery.com/blog/forum/

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21. Mar 2007, 03:22 

It would be a great help if each time you add a gallery, the first time it is accessed it generates all thumbnails, for every photo. Other PHP galleries do this, and you can put the generation time all at once, at intitiation and don't have to wait at all after that first time.

It helps enormously on slow servers, like I just use an old 500 megahertz comp in the closet, and having to wait for thumbnail generation each time a new page is loaded is really a pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21. Mar 2007, 10:25 
Site Admin

Hi,

Thumbnails are only generated once! And by default they are generated the first time you need them and then this images from the cache are used. therefore I don't understand what they are doing different here ;).

BUT -
In the TWG Admin is a function to generate all cache images (for thumbnails AND detail images!). In 1.5.5 this is still for registered users only - in 1.6 this is available to everyone (the new bonus feature of 1.6 is the album explorer - i'll always add a new bonus feature each version and another one from an older version it then availalbe to all).
Maybe you should use this ;).

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21. Mar 2007, 22:04 

hmmm, thats what I need, generation of all thumbnails at first acces to the album even, regardless of whether they are being displayed at that time, rather take the album as a whole and format the smaller images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21. Mar 2007, 22:09 

Ok, Ill buy, I just want some assurance.

This means that the first time the album is accessed, all associated pictures will be processed for thumbnails, not just the ones called by the requested page?

And when is 1.6 coming out? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2007, 01:01 
Site Admin

no - only the one requested by the page are generated - not all (a couple more because I do already preloading some)

simply check 1.6 - rc2 is already in the forum - its the version already running at the demo.

Im only building the website right now.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2007, 01:16 

If not all, what does that option do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2007, 01:18 
Site Admin

??

The one in TWG Admin does generate all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2007, 03:44 

It seems to be still generating one by one as they are called, even when I press the generate cache button, reload, and press it again to make sure it got everyhting.

I think it seems to be missing alot, because when I press generate, then I come back, refreash or click generate again, it will find another 20 or so pics to generate.

in unrelated news

I had to use the old filefunctions.inc.php from 1.5 because it was giving errors, its fine now.

Dunno what else that may have effected down the line, but it stopped the errors that I can see.

EDIT: ajazserver.inc is throwing errors too

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2007, 10:36 
Site Admin

you are mixing files from 2 versions of TWG and expect that everything works?

This is the most changed file in the 2 versions!

The generation of the cache images is a Javascript solution that sends requests to the server. Javascript does not encode all directory/filenames correct - therefore it is possible that not all are generated.
But 20 are nothing - I implemented this because of galleries with 20000 images (= 40000 cache images).

If you have errors with 1.6 i'm very interested in knowing them!!
Are they in the debug file?

You can easily check if the thumbs are generated or if the images from the cache are used - rightclick on a thumb - check the properties. If the location is from the cache directory then it's fine - then just the images need the time to load.

The images do still have to be loaded by the client!

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2007, 20:51 

Loading time should be nearly zero, this is all internal on gigabit lan, so it must be on generation, which is possible, server has 500 megahertz.

The problem is that it is not queueing all photos to be cached, so I might reload the admin page and see another 40 images to be cached.

Yea, I'm was getting errors on those two files which I swapped out for the old ones. Seems to be ok now though with the old versions.

If you need the specific errors, I can throw up another blank, brand new site for you to look at and get the errors.
Or post error log?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2007, 21:16 
Site Admin

both would be fine - can you check if the thumbnails are taken from the cache? By looking for the properties of the images?

If generation would happen every time a page with many thumbs would load really long - have you enabled the cache?

/Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23. Mar 2007, 00:20 

Cache is enabled, and images are being used from there.

The problem more lies in the auto generation thing not generating all images in a directory, it leaves some out, and those are the ones that when you navigate it takes a along time.

So its just the cache images aren't all being made.

I gotta run, I throw up that one for you tonight

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23. Mar 2007, 00:47 
Site Admin

but once they are generated they should never be generated again. Otherwise there is another problem somewhere.

/Michael